Friday, January 1, 2010

Marriage licenses now confidential

We're not sure if there are any newspapers left in the Bay Area that still print marriage licenses. But starting today (Jan. 1), but if there are any, they'll have to stop due to a new state law, AB130. Here's a story from the Marysville (Yuba County) Appeal-Democrat that says marriage licenses are one more public record that is no longer public.

Assemblyman Kevin Jeffries, R-Lake Elsinore, told the Appeal-Democrat that he wrote the law to prevent identity theft. Exactly how identity thieves would benefit by knowing a victim's marital status isn't clear.

Peter Scheer, executive director of the California-based First Amendment Coalition, said his group might have to help educate county clerks and their staffs over what they can release under the law.

"I'm not sure people get married to keep it a secret," Scheer said.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothing in the law stops people from sending marriage announcements to the paper, however.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if they'll prohibit public access to divorce decrees, too?

Anonymous said...

The only public that won't get the information is you and me. Get a marriage license and your mail box will still fill up with unwanted junk mail.

Anonymous said...

Why does the media think they have a God Given RIGHT to know who has married who? I must have missed that part in the constitution! With so many financial organizations asking for a maiden name as a secret question or password, I do not want my marriage certificate giving out that information!!

Anonymous said...

I don't want people to know who my husband is, so I completely support this decision.

Anonymous said...

Leave me alone. Nobody has the right to know who my wife is unless I choose to disclose.