Minutes from the April 2004 PPC Board meeting held at the San Mateo Daily News, 2600 El Camino Real. Ed Remitz was absent. In attendance were Micki Carter, Bill Workman, Jon Mays, Justin Nyberg, John Kane, Aimee Lewis, Jack Russell and Darryl Compton.
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by President Carter -- Micki Carter that is.
1. Minutes of the March meeting were approved.
2. A discussion was held regarding whether submissions from Web sites and Verde -- a magazine produced by students at Palo Alto High School -- should be considered for the high school competition. The board voted to allow individual submissions. Entries for general excellence and design will not be considered since these categories are reserved for newspapers. The board also agreed to discuss the rules of future contests at a later date. Entries were divvied up for judging.
3. The board heard a treasurer's report from Compton. Compton reported an increase in membership and award contest entries.
4. Compton said all award contest entries are currently being judged.
5. Lewis reported that everything is set for the award dinner.
6. Russell reported that 10 high school students and one college student showed interest in the Herb Caen scholarship. Interviews will be conducted soon. There was some discussion on the need of getting more entries.
7. Price proposed putting ads on the club's Web site. Proposal will be considered at a later date.
8. The board decided to give a $500 scholarship to a student in the name of former press club president Jim Monroe.
9. Nyberg gave an update on his effort to organize a press club happy hour.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m. Minutes recorded by Jon Mays.