Present: Darryl Compton, Jon Mays, Kristy Blackburn, Melissa McRobbie, Micki Carter, Antonia Ehlers, Laura Dudnick, Peter Cleaveland. Absent: Marshall Wilson, Ed Remitz
The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m. by Melissa.
MINUTES: The July minutes were approved as submitted.
FINANCIALS: Darryl reported no changes from last month.
BOOT CAMP: Marshall procured R.B. Brenner, a former Washington Post editor and a current teacher at Stanford's Graduate School of Journalism, as the keynote speaker after Jim Wagstaffe could not do it. Kristy and Antonia have 10-12 students from seven schools who will serve on a panel in the closing session. The panel will focus on finding stories and putting new twists on old favorites.
Micki provided the list of speakers and topics for the middle two sessions, and the board then tweaked them to the following:
- 1. Multimedia photo/video (Paul Sakuma and friends)
- 2. Page design (Micki Carter)
- 3. PhotoShopping for print (Erik Oeverndiek)
- 4. Sportswriting (Nathan Mollat)
- 5. Interviewing techniques (Marshall Wilson)
- 6. Accuracy in Reporting and Quoting (Joe Wirt, CNPA)
- 7. Social media reporting (Camden Swita and David Carini of Patch)
- 8. Online media (Laura Dudnick and Vanessa Castenada of Patch)
- 9. Critiques (Melissa, Antonia, Kristy, Jon (?), Dave and Marshall)
- 1. Sports/news photography (Paul Sakuma and friends)
- 2. Television news (NBC Bay Area's Garvin Thomas)
- 3. Transition to college media (Ed Remitz)
- 4. Online media (Laura Dudnick and Vanessa Castenada of Patch)
- 5. Critiques (Melissa, Micki, Laura, Vanessa, Jon)
- 6. Headline writing (Dave Price)
- 7. Careers in media (Antonia Ehlers)
- 8. Social media reporting (Camden Swita and David Carini of Patch)
- 9. Advisers' gathering (Kristy Blackburn)
The board also reviewed its decision to open the competition to any school participating in the Boot Camp. It was clarified that any Peninsula school could participate, as in the past, even if it couldn’t send someone to the Boot Camp.
CHRISTMAS PARTY: The party will be in the Janet Parker Beck Press Room at the Hall of Justice from 5-7 p.m. Dec. 14.
SAN MATEO TIMES WAKE: Micki announced that a “wake” is planned from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 1 at Murf’s Broadway Cocktail Lounge, 700 Winslow at Marshall, Redwood City, to honor the discontinuance of the nameplate and the destruction of the Amphlett Boulevard building of the old San Mateo Times. About 40 Times people are expected.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Micki Carter, Secretary