Oct. 14, 2009 — Board Room, San Mateo Daily Journal. The meeting was called to order at 6:35 p.m.
Present: Jon Mays, Peter Cleaveland, Darryl Compton, Ed Remitz, Melissa McRobbie and Marshall Wilson
Absent: Jack Russell, Micki Carter, Jamie Casini and Dave Price
Guest: Kristi Blackburn, Adviser, Gunn High School in Palo Alto
1. Approval of minutes. Peter Cleaveland moved to approve the September minutes; Melissa McRobbie provided the second. All voted to approve.
2. A treasurer’s report was presented. Darryl Compton, Executive Secretary, said $72.17 was spent for food at the high school journalism boot camp on Sept. 11. Melissa McRobbie moved to approve the report; Marshall Wilson provided the second. All voted to accept.
3. Open Director positions — Kristi Blackburn is interested in becoming a director. She attended the meeting to observe operations. Jon Mays says two more people are interested in joining the board.
4. High school boot camp debriefing — Jon Mays said the event “went well.” Darryl Compton said the initial meeting room was inadequate.
5. Town Hall meeting — Marshall Wilson is organizing the event and suggests discussions continue at the next meeting. He is seeking a subject for the meeting that is of interest throughout the Peninsula.
6. Professional development workshop for members — A workshop titled “School and City Budgets — Ask the Right Questions, Write Better Stories,” was proposed by Marshall Wilson for Oct. 28 at the Sequoia Union High School District, Birch Room, 480 James Ave., Redwood City. Members wanted additional time to publicize the event. Wilson plans to schedule a new date soon. Workshop attendance will free.
7. Other business —
Darryl Compton wanted to issue a formal thank you to Micki Carter for hosting the press club picnic on Sept. 13
Jon Mays plans to meet with Scott Laurence, superintendent of the San Mateo Union High School district, about ways the press club can help high school journalism programs.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
Submitted by Ed Remitz, treasurer