During the 2011 Japanese earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster he "refocused his energy on broadcasting information about the nation's human tragedy," according to Time Magazine, "becoming the handle of record for outsiders who want to know more about the crisis gripping Japan."
Time named his Twitter feed as one of the "140 Best" of 2011.
He has traveled extensively, including a 2002 trip to North Korea where he learned how isolated its citizens were from outside information. In 2010 he turned an interest in North Korea into a website focusing on North Korea's slow adoption of technology.
In 2011-12 he was a John S. Knight Journalism Fellow at Stanford University. The fellowship, awarded to only 20 journalists a year, allowed him to work on projects related to innovation in journalism and tools allowing news organizations to securely connect with citizens in authoritarian countries.
Here's the schedule for the boot camp.
12:30 pm Registration and Refreshments
12:45 pm Welcome and Student Panel
- Carlmont High School: Sabrina Leung, Editorial Director
- East Side Prep: Vanessa Martinez, Features page editor, and Amanda Russell, In-Dept page co-editor
- Sequoia High School: Simon Greenhill, Editor-in-Chief, and Araceli Efigenio, Feature Editor
- Aragon: Brandon Liu and Annika Ulrich, Editors-in-chief
- Gunn: Nabeel Chollampat, News Editor, and Mitch Donat, Managing Editor
2 – 2:50 and 3-3:50 pm Breakout Sessions News
- Photography (REPEATED) Nic Coury and others, Bay Area Press Photographers Association
- Writing Leads that Grab the Reader (REPEATED) Michelle Carter, former Managing Editor San Mateo Times
- Online Journalism: Multimedia Reporting (REPEATED) Laura Dudnick, Patch Editor
- Clean Your Copy: Tips to Improve Your Style (REPEATED) Leslie Guevarra, former Deputy Managing Editor, San Francisco Chronicle; Asian American Journalists Association, Bay Area Chapter founding member
- Breaking News: Get the Story as it Happens John Cote, reporter, San Francisco Chronicle
- Headlines and Layout that Engage Readers (REPEATED) Dave Price, Editor, Daily Post Column Writing, Caille Millner, Columnist, San Francisco Chronicle
- Transition to College Journalism (REPEATED) Ed Remitz, former Journalism instructor, College of San Mateo Margaret Baum, Kayla Figard, Yasmine Mahmoud, students
- Careers in Journalism (REPEATED) Antonia Ehlers, former Journalist, Communications Manager Serra High School
- Newspaper Critiques (Send copies of your current paper to be critiqued) Press Club Members
- Advisers Gathering Kristy Blackburn, Henry M. Gunn High School