Friday, April 29, 2011

White House denies threat to Chron reporter

The Politico says the White House is denying that it threatened to exclude the Chronicle from presidential events in its coverage area after one of its reporters recorded a video of singing protesters at a fundraiser last week that was restricted to print reporters.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest told the Politico today that the Chronicle’s claims are “not true,” and that no such threat was ever made, but he wouldn’t provide further details.

Because the White House chooses the local media outlets that are included in the “pool” during out-of-town trips, the White House Correspondents Association’s authority to police the actions of local media has been a murky subject.

Still, the association’s president, David Jackson, told the Politico that the board would take up the issue with the White House next week and would seek to clarify the rules governing “print pool only” events — after the long-awaited White House Correspondents' Association dinner on Saturday.


Anonymous said...

Whether you are on the left or right, it's bad policy for the press to make deals with newsmakers in order to get access. If it's open to the media, there should be no strings attached.

Anonymous said...

The Chronicle made a deal to cover this with a note book and pen. They weren't in the video pool, which is different. Then Carla breaks the rules and wants to be exonerated. Does she just go around picking with agreements she'll violate and which ones she'll obey?

Anonymous said...

Why is the Chronicle allowing WH spokespeople comment anonymously? First thing they ought to do is name names. They've been kicked out of the pool, so there's not much else the WH can do at this point.