Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Kim Komenich, who is now an assistant professor at San Jose State University, helped foil a bank robbery, according to SJSU's Spartan Daily.Komenich told the paper he was waiting in a line at the Wells Fargo at San Fernando and Market streets on Monday when the two robbers walked inside.
According to the Spartan:
- "The guy next to me starts having what I thought was a normal transaction with the teller, and then his voice went up and I started paying attention to him and it was 'Give me your money,'" Komenich said. "I looked down and he had a note too, a note that says, 'I have a gun, give me your money' on a Wells Fargo deposit slip."
- Komenich said he didn't notice a gun, but as the man went for his pocket, Komenich proceeded to restrain him. "I figured if he did have a gun that's where there was going to be a gun," Komenich said. "So I clamped a big bear hug on him from behind and held him."
- The man, who Komenich said was in his 40s or 50s, didn't resist until the police arrived.
- "It took a few minutes for the police to arrive and then two officers showed up immediately and then I let go of him and they immediately put handcuffs on him as I let go," he said.
He was a photographer at the Chron from 2000 to 2009. He is now as assistant professor of new media at San Jose State. (Photo credit: SJSU)
UPDATE, 1 A.M. WEDNESDAY: The Merc picked up the story.

1 comment:
Thanks for featuring our article on your blog! Just a quick correction, we're the Spartan Daily, not the Spartan. Also, police didn't tell us about Kim's involvement since the investigation was ongoing.
Post a Comment