Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CC's KKSF flips from jazz to classic rock

After 22 years as the Bay Area's smooth jazz station, Clear Channel on Monday flipped KKSF 103.7 to classic rock. The station's new handle is The Band. And now it is in the hunt to steal audience away from KFOG, which is seen as vulnerable with the departure of longtime morning man Dave Morey.

Program Director Michael Erickson posted a note on the station's Web site that said in part:
    While this decision was extremely difficult, KKSF is taking a different path and becoming a new radio station today -- 103.7 The Band. It was made only after exhaustive market research, and extensive economic considerations (yes this is a business). We hope you'll listen and let us know what you think.
KKSF switched to its new format at 3 p.m. Monday, and the first song it played was Santana's "Everybody's Everything." The station intends to play 10,000 songs without a commercial break as it acquaints listeners with its new format.

No word yet on what's next for KKSF's hosts, which included Ramsey Lewis (mornings), Miranda Wilson (9 a.m.-2 p.m.), Dave Koz (2-7) and Maria Lopez (7-midnight).

As of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, KKSF's Web site still had several references to its jazz format and a place for listeners to leave comments. The 20 comments that had been posted about the flip were unfavorable.

Said one, "I am just sick. Who does your market research? They should be strung up."

Another post said, "What a shock!!! I have been listening to KKSF for almost 20 years. I have gone to your concerts, smooth Jass Brunches, patronized your advertisers. I am really upset that you have changed the format of the station. Our whole office listens to KKSF. What are you thinking!"

The market still has one jazz station — KCSM 91.1 San Mateo. And CC will air jazz on KKSF's HD channel.

From the history department: KKSF, which originally was KGO-FM, was an album oriented rock station from 1980 to 1982 and again from 1984 to 1987. It flipped to "Smooth Jazz" on July 31, 1987.

12 comments:

smthjzzlvr said...

The Bay Area already has KFOG and KFOX for classic rock and no other jazz station that has the capability of broadcasting throughout the Bay Area. Clear Channel, what the hell are you thinking???

K D Lawyer said...

I have been a listener since the station's inception in 1987...this is a HUGE mistake! I hope CC falls flat on it's face. My radios' pushbuttons will no longer take me to 103.7.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the new format. Several other stations are playing the same thing. Bring back KKSF. If Clear Channel doesn't, somebody else will.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone else does. Can you imagine San Francisco without a smooth jazz station?? Sacrilegious!

bridges.72 said...

I say good riddance to KKSF. I didn't care for smooth Jazz / elevator music. C/C should pick up a real jazz station and add KCSM for the Jazz listeners.
I want real music by real muscians not remakes with a tiny hint of jazz. But hey, that's just me.

DavidFerrellJackson said...

> KKSF switched to its new format at 3 p.m. Monday, and the first song it played was Frank Sinatra's "Everybody's Everything."Ah, yes. Right up there with Ol' Blue Eyes' versions of "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Whole Lotta Love."

That wasn't Sinatra. That was Santana.

The last song played on the old KKSF was "Breezin'" by George Benson.

Anonymous said...

HUGE MISTAKE!!! I this is a dumb decision! I hope CC will never make it with this stupid decision! I will switch to KCSM FM 91.1 if they will accomodate smooth jazz in their programming.

Anonymous said...

that is really mean of u guys we loved u how u are when the ratings drop switch back to miranda we will take u back. sorry u have to go threw all of this to see we like what we had before.

Tim Požar said...

> KKSF, which originally was KGO-FM, was an album oriented rock station from 1980 to 1982 and again from 1984 to 1987.Actually, KKSF was called KLOK-FM from 1984 to 1987 and played a "poppy" kind of Adult Contemporary (AC) format. I was the Chief Engineer there from the start of KLOK-FM and KKSF-FM going from 1984 to 1996.

jasonbrockjazz said...

I'm sorry to hear that we're losing another jazz station. :-\

I love you, jazz... I hope you get to stick around a while and that people will regain interest in you.

Henry Doelger said...

I want KKSF to come back as long as its on the FM dial. I am like all of you who loved KKSF and what it stands for. Smooth and relaxing music. Well I am trying to get people together and try to talking to the owners. But I hear that KKSF is up for sale or its domands name.

People this is our radio station. We can fight to get it back. Why can't we as people not think of greed. I am willing to back up my words. If we as people can march like the people for AIDS Releaf. Lets make up sighs and tell THE OWNER WE WANT KKSF BACK ON OUR RADIOS AND AT WORK. THE ADDRESS IS KKSF-FM
340 Townsend St
San Francisco, CA
Phone: (415) 538-1013 disconnected
Fax: (415) 947-5377 same...

We made KKSF famous for its name and the was smooth jazz.

Also if everyone just gave 1 cent and you open up an account at a bank and called it "KKSF 103.7 People Owned Radio" Maybe we could show how many people care about this station. Maybe make it to KRON 4 maybe with there help we can get back KKSF 103.7 The Smooth Jazz Station. Please write to me at Doelg6@aol.com or write to me at 591 Etruscan CT Fairfield California 94534. Thank you Henry

Anonymous Guy said...

I guarantee that Smooth Jazz will NEVER be played on KCSM. I'm not saying it's bad music, but since it lacks improvisation, Smooth Jazz is more like Pop than Jazz.