- • Management can lay off employees without regard to seniority;
• Employees who are laid off or accept voluntary buyouts will get two weeks' pay per year of service up to a maximum of one year;
• They will also get company-paid health care for the severance term, even in the event of a shutdown;
• The union agreed to reductions in vacation time, sick leave and maternity/paternity leave;
• The work week will be expanded from 37.5 hours to 40 hours;
• And management has the right to outsource any work.
With the agreement, the Chron said it expects to eliminate about 150 Guild jobs. If there had not been a deal, management was threatening to fire as many as 225 employees.
The Guild said it will release a bulletin summarizing all the proposed contract changes on Tuesday. It also said a set of the complete proposed amendments will be available on the Guild’s Web site (mediaworkers.org) as soon as possible.
Links: Unbylined Chron story; Guild's announcement; KGO-TV ABC7; KTVU Channel 2; Associated Press.