Two months ago, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith listed Savage and 15 others as "least wanted" visitors. Savage (whose real name is Michael Weiner) sued Smith for libel, saying he she had no right to put him on the same list as a former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, a skinhead gang leader and a Hezbollah militant. Savage said he also was forced to hire body guards.
Last week, Smith stepped down in the wake of a scandal over the personal use of taxpayer funds and her successor, Alan Johnson, has dropped the list, the Daily Mail said:
- The Mail on Sunday has been told that Mr Johnson believes the move was a blunder and does not propose to issue similar lists in the future. But the switch could have major legal consequences for the Government.
Mr Savage is suing Ms Smith for libel over the list and abandoning the policy could make it impossible to contest his demand for damages.