Zuckerman looked at several local blogs that are making money.
- "From the blogosphere's anarchistic roots, a professional cadre is emerging that is creating an industry whose top-performing businesses now earn serious money. The industry is expanding at warp speed. Blog-based media could just be poised to elbow aside traditional print and broadcast outlets to become one of the dominant sources of news, information and opinion, many observers believe."
- • TechCrunch founded by Michael Arrington. It has a staff of eight and brings in $240,000 a month in advertising.
• Gawker Media, headed by Nick Denton, who throws cold water on the idea that blogs have become big business. Gawker's properties include Silicon Valley gossip site Valleywag.
• Om Malik's technology news blog GigaOm.
• Matt Marshall's VentureBeat.
• BlogHer is in Redwood City and has 13 employees.
• Daily Kos, the liberal political site founded by Markos Moulitsas of Berkeley.
• Boing Boing, with an office in Sausalito, a sort of techno-futurist meditation that describes itself as a "directory of wonderful things."